Saturday, June 30, 2012




Choosing Joy as a Wife:

 I've only been married for 2 1/2 years & by no means do I claim to be an expert however, I must admit I have never learned so much about myself & God's grace as I have in my marriage. Lately the Lord has been taking me to the book of Titus chapter 2 verses 3-5. 

"...the older women likewise that they be
reverent in behavior, not slanderers,
not given to much wine, teachers of good things, 
that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, 
to love their children, [to be] discreet,
chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands,
that the word of God not be blasphemed."

I must admit that this has not been the first nor the second time that I have come across this scripture, in fact I even took a class on that scripture itself. However, I this was the first time I really looked at the standard the Lord was setting for me as a wife & woman of God & truly understand what each characteristic meant. As godly women we are asked here to uphold 10 different characteristics:

  • reverent in behavior
  • not slander
  • not given to much wine
  • teacher of good things
  • admonish young women to...love their husbands & children
  • to be discreet
  • to be chaste
  • homemakers
  • good
  • obedient to their own husbands
To be reverent in behavior:

Definition of reverent is- Feeling or showing deep and solemn respect (i.e. respectful)

Definition of behavior is- 1. The way in which one acts or conducts oneself, esp. toward others. 2. The way in which an animal or person acts in response to a particular situation or stimulus.


How many times in my own marriage have I disagreed with my husband's decisions or ideas and rather than just politely oppose I rudely force my own way? Or those time when he has made unwise comments & I out of rudeness I put him down? Am I acting in a respectful way to my husband? Am I showing respect to the man the Lord has placed over me as my spiritual covering? Am I building up or tearing down? The Lord is instructing us wives to be reverent in our behavior, why? because I believe as women it is so easy to snap at our husbands out of frustration and blame it on them or our own biology. And trust me the Lord is never pleased with us when we respond in a sinful way. Wife, the Lord has commanded us to...

"...and let the wife [see] that she respects [her] husband"
Ephesians 5:33b

But there is a second part to this command, it is to not only be reverent but specifically in our behavior. I think as a wife I should be asking myself "am I being respectful to my husband by wearing this?" or "am I showing my husband respect by sharing this with others?" If we are checking the motives of our hearts & seeking to not only please our husbands through our behaviors but blessing the Lord as we bless our own husbands as well. I think it is important to note Proverbs 31 verse 12.

"She does him good and not evil all the days of her life."

The Lord is specifically speaking of the "virtuous woman," (Proverbs 31:10) who according to the Lord is worth more than rubies. As a wife I can choose to be overwhelmed with the standards that the Lord has set for me, or I can choose joy in the blessing of Marriage the Lord has given me with all the ups & downs included. Choosing joy in accepting God's commands will not only bring a blessing to you but to others as well as we seek to bless our Lord as we bless our husbands in reverent behavior.

So today dear sisters, choose joy in being a wife & blessing your husbands in being reverent in your behavior.

<3  

















0 comments: