Friday, February 4, 2011

Anniversary



1st Year: We were blessed to be able to celebrate our 1 year anniversary in Vegas in January. Our mini vacation was 4 days and 3 nights, it was so nice to be able to get away for a while & reminisce over the year. My husband & I had an amazing year together as husband & wife. I know that on January 23, 2010 I made the best decision of my life! My husband has been the most supportive, understanding and loving man I have ever known. He is amazing! I went through a small phase where I questioned whether or not our marriage would work & through that time of questions the Lord really showed me to trust in HIM & just let go. The Lord is good! We have learned to communicate & spend all the time we can with each other. A friend had recommended that I read a book called, A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken where he talks about "Creeping Separateness" a concept that enforced togetherness in marriage. Many people would say that as a couple you need "me" time & it seems only logical. But it is the "me" time that begins to bring in a separateness that will injure your marriage. My husband & I spend all the time we can together, playing board games, hanging out, watching movies, going for walks, going on drives...we rarely spend time apart. This is what will strengthen our marriage, time together. He is my best friend.

"The killer of love is creeping separateness. Inloveness is a gift of the gods, but then it is up to the lovers to cherish or to ruin. Taking love for granted, especially after marriage. Ceasing to do things together. Finding separate interests. “We” turning into “I.” Self. Self-regard: what I want to do. Actual selfishness is only a hop away. This is the way of creeping separateness. And in the modern world, especially in the cities, everything favoured it. The man going off to his office; the woman staying home with the children—her children—or perhaps having a different job. The failure of love might seem to be caused by hate or boredom or unfaithfulness with a lover; but those were the results. First came the creeping separateness: the failure behind the failure."
--Sheldon Vanauken
"A Severe Mercy"


So enjoy your spouse, the time you have been blessed with, strengthen your marriage through communication, love & togetherness & you will find a life long blessing through friendship with your best friend. You won't regret it!

<3 Angelia


1 comments:

Joanne Cox said...

i read that book years ago and couldn't remember the title. thank you!!

<3